This exciting project in Ramsgate, Kent, focused on turning a piece of land at the rear of a corner plot into two luxurious 4-bedroom detached houses.
For this project, I teamed up with my business partner, Craig Shields, under our joint company, Link ID Ltd, a property development and investment company.
The original plans had potential but were a bit basic, but we knew we could enhance the layout to maximise space and create a more inviting atmosphere.
Our initial assessment of the plans revealed a few key areas needing improvement:
- The outdated double doors from the lounge to the kitchen restricted furniture placement.
- The lounge was awkwardly long and narrow.
- The cramped lobby and unnecessarily large inner hall seemed impractical.
- The lack of space for essential utilities like the heating system and fuse board.
- Upstairs, the oversized landing took away valuable space from the bedrooms and bathroom.
- The bedrooms felt boxy and uninspiring, with inadequate storage.
- The master bedroom’s layout, particularly the ensuite’s position, was inefficient.
Our Creative Solutions:
Utilising our extensive experience in property design, refurbishment and redevelopment, we made the following changes:
Redesigned The Ground Floor:
- We cleverly reconfigured the hallway, taking space from the living room and study, to create a more spacious feel as you walk in.
- The wasted area in the inner hallway allowed for the cloakroom to relocate under the stairs.
- Moving the cloakroom made room for a much-needed utility room.
- Changing the lounge door to a single one and moving it towards the front door opened the living room for a more functional seating area for a large family space.
- The kitchen was redesigned to include a dining area near the bifold doors and a comfortable seating area.
Optimising the Upper Floor:
- We rearranged the landing, allowing for the balanced placement of bedroom doors and built-in wardrobes in bedroom 3.
- We enlarged bedrooms 1 and 2, and the bathroom layout was revamped for practicality and comfort.
- In the master bedroom, we created a hotel suite experience with a partition wall, adding an ensuite and a walk-in wardrobe area.
Impact on Property Value:
Our redesign elevated the living experience and significantly increased the property’s value. From an original Gross Development Value (GDV) of £485,000 per property, the houses were valued at £585,000 each upon completion – a remarkable 21% increase, even in a less favourable market.
This project is a testament to how thoughtful design and strategic space utilisation can dramatically enhance property value and livability. We transformed standard plans into bespoke homes that promise a luxurious living experience, proving that with creativity and expertise, even the most basic layouts can be elevated to new heights of elegance and functionality.
If you need help with your property layouts, view our services here.
With over 30 years experience working across properties of all ages and sizes, appealing to all demographics of end users, whether for rent, sale, HMO or serviced accommodation. To contact us email for more information.